RESOURCES FOR TEACHERS
The Educator’s Workbook was designed by artists, arts administrators, dance historians, and teachers to prepare students to appreciate modern dance. The Workbook gives an overview of the development of this exciting art form and includes a brief history of modern dance in Toronto. It also includes helpful ideas for class activities and a bibliography of further sources.
Toronto Dance Theatre
Education & Outreach DVD
Directed by Kenneth Clarke © 2004
Suitable for Grades 5 through OAC
Length: 19 minutes
Get to know Toronto Dance Theatre and the world of modern dance with this exclusive “behind the scenes“ video created especially for elementary and high school students and educators.
Through interviews, performance excerpts, rehearsal footage and backstage clips, students will:
- Gain valuable insight in to the day-to-day workings of a modern dance company
- Learn modern dance terms and technical vocabulary
- Understand the roles of the Artistic Director, Wardrobe Manager, Lighting Designer and Rehearsal Director
- Get to know the dancers and their motivation for pursuing a career in modern dance
- Appreciate the creative journey for a new dance work from inspiration to opening night
Toronto Dance Theatre’s Education & Outreach Video is an invaluable resource to prepare students and educators alike for Studio Series and Student Matinees, or as stand alone material in the classroom.
Toronto Dance Theatre’s Education & Outreach Video was made possible by the generous support of the Toronto Community Foundation. To order your Educator’s Workbook, Dance Notes, or the Education & Outreach Video, please contact Laura Hagglund, Marketing and Outreach Coordinator at (416) 967-1365 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TDT outreach class. Photo by Kristy Kennedy.